Have you ever heard about Salaulim Dam in Goa ? If not, here is everything you should know about Salaulim Dam. Salaulim Dam is one of the most important and the biggest man-made water storage dam located on the Selaulim river, a headwaters of Zuari River, at around 5 km away from the Sanguem town and is also the most captivating tourist place in Goa hundred of tourists visit this place every year.
This Dam in Goa is pivotal element of the Salaulim Irrigation Project that predicts the advantages of irrigation and drinking water supply in Goa, moreover, the water supply element for domestic as well as industrial use is raised to 380 MLD (million litres per day). Construction of the project was commenced in the year 1976 and was completed in the year 2000.
You must be wondering about the KEY FACTORS of Salaulim Dam, so, for you, we have prepared a list below:
- Salaulim Dam which is 140 feet tall, is a combined structure i.e. made out of earth and stonework.
- The dam’s length is around 3294 feet with a water area of 24 square kilometer.
- Moreover, the total water capacity of the dam is 234.361 cubic meters with a storage capacity of 227.157 cubic meters.
- In addition to this, from the whole storage capacity of the dam, 126 cubic meters is for irrigation purposes and the remaining water capacity is stored for industrial and domestic water purposes in South Goa.
How Irrigation Process actually works here ?
- The principal aim of the irrigation system was to irrigate Sanguem, Quepum taluks and Salceto and also to grow sugarcane to fulfill increasing demand of the sugar mill in Goa.
- On the left side of the bank the primary canal, is around 25.73 kilometers long.
- The distributary and minor canals of the primary canal render irrigation to a land of around 35,400 acres.
- As the length of two distributary canals has been shortened, as a result, reduction in the the irrigation demand by 11,600 acres.
- The stored water is likely to be used for fulfilling the demands of industrial and domestic purposes.
- Therefore, the dam is the important source of irrigation system and the primary source of drinking water in the state.
What are the best amenities near the Salaulim Dam ?
- A picturesque botanical garden, that was planted and built on the basis of the famous Brindavan Gardens in Mysore.
- Travelers who want to stay longer there is also a facility of rest house and a private resort situated near the dam.
- In conjunction to this, this place is heaven for professional photographers and bird-watchers and the sunset view is breathtaking.
- Travelers visit this place from all over the country to enjoy the solace of scenic beauty of this dam.
- The dam plays a role of bread and butter for local fishing community for their livelihood as fish is the essential meal for masses of Goa.
- On the top of all, the government has facilitated many employment opportunities for fishing community in Salaulim and Anjunem. Furthermore, Fish seed farming was also initiated in the fresh water lake for the coastal people.
What’s the best time to visit Salaulim Dam?
Monsoon season, best time for the travelers to visit the dam due to the rains that makes the scenery near the dam all the more astonishing and resplendent .This dam a perfect tourist place for family picnics during monsoons, evidently, most visited dams during the monsoons in Goa.
Now, you all must be thinking, so, how to reach Salaulim Dam?
One may hire a taxi or drive down 35 kilometers from Margao city to reach Salaulim Dam, and once you reach the town of Sanguem, Salaulim Dam is just another 5 kilometers away here.
Must visit Salaulim Dam once in your life time, stay tuned.